Thursday, February 20, 2014

Easy and fast chicken tortilla soup

I rarely use exact recipes for things like soups, preferring to add things to taste or until it looks right. In fact I do most of my cooking that way. This soup is a mish mash from years of trial and error, trying different things.

Chicken, now when I'm in a hurry I use a large can of chicken, drained, but usually I use leftover chicken in it, one chicken breast or so, shredded.

One can of black beans

a carton of chicken broth (for this I use low salt)

half a bag of frozen corn

and a cup or so of salsa (I get the big jar and use half)

a bag of tortilla chips

shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or other cheese)

I add it all to the crock pot (or soup pan if I'm in a hurry) except broth, chips and cheese and stir
then I take the empty can and add a couple cans of water (more if you want it less salty)

then stir it all up and add the chicken broth until it look as 'soupy' as you like it (remember once you add the tortilla chips it will soak up a lot of broth. Heat it until hot on stovetop or in crock pot.

to serve crush tortilla chips in bottom of bowl ladle in soup and add cheese. Enjoy!

When I make it I get to enjoy the whole thing myself usually, well sharing with the baby. M and C (my two younger stepsons) will also eat it if they are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment