Monday, February 10, 2014

Ideas for a really cool boy's room

use (like we do) Rolling tool chests as dressers, they are sturdy, roomy, reasonable and very cool looking for a room, especially a boy room with a car or truck or racing theme, they also sometimes come with a warranty and should last so they can be used for actual tool chests as the kids get older.

use a 5 gallon bucket for toy storage, or a hamper. I use a 5 gallon bucket as a hamper for the baby's clothes. this works well because I can fill it up with oxy clean and soak clothes if need be. I also will be adding to the boy's shared room a 5 gallon bucket for toy storage for their trucks (if I let them keep them in their room.) You can find some with pretty cool designs (like the Patriots ones I found at Lowes) you can also get them for free.

A metal trash bin as a hamper works great! its semi decorative, will add to any garage or car themed room, or really any boy themed bedroom. I'd use this for E and M if I wasn't going another route, but when I get to C's bedroom I may  give him one of these. I may also use this for the toy room as toy storage, or even in M and E's room as a stuffed animal bin, not that they have many stuffies (maybe 3  each), and they do keep them on their beds now, but this is just such a cool feature and would add so much to their theme.

Car prints can be obtained by taking a trek to a drive in (not the eating kind) and a camera. I can name at least 5 drive ins (or cruise ins) that happen in my area all summer. You can get prints of hot rods, classic muscle cars, antique cars, new high performance cars, and just plain odd cars at these. Its very easy to get pictures of different features of these cars, or taken at different angles can make really cool, different pictures for walls.

Curtains are very easy to make, and you can pick any color and pattern fabric to make them from, all you need is a way to cut it, thread and a sewing machine (and hopefully someone who can sew).

I'm making the boys a lamp for their room, well customizing a lamp shade. I am taking hot wheels of all their dad's favorite cars and making a track around a black (or another color) lampshade using a silver (or another color) sharpie, and gluing the cars onto the track.

I'd love to figure out how to make their closet door look like a garage door, I saw a garage door looking closet door on pinterest and can think of little else since, what a cool idea.

They have interlocking mats at Sams club that look similar to some made for a garage floor, I may use these over the wood floor in the boy's bedroom to keep it from being damaged. Plus, it would look cool.

Glow in the dark stars are a must for any kids room at one point or another. E and M have the wall decal stars on their walls now. They will probably be keeping most of them if not all when we redo, but mostly on the walls and ceiling right by their bed and on their metal bunk bed.

A rug with a race track on it is a great way to cover a floor and add décor. Not very original, but still a great tip, and you can find them very reasonably.

license plates on the wall are a great idea! I even found one in mexico when on vacation, those are going on my boys' wall

a diy painting of a car or gas station symbol. I'll be doing a shell symbol for my boys.

Old fashioned gas pumps are an awesome decoration idea for a car themed room with extra space. I really wish we could do this, but have no space in the boy's bedroom.

Highway signs, or highway sign recreations for the walls. It could be as easy as printing out on paper. I'm thinking of doing a stop sign above the bed, and a yield sign at the hamper

hubcaps are a great thing to put on the wall. 

an oil catch pan makes a perfect theme catchall, place on top of the dresser to catch ipod, kindle, Ds, glasses, keys, and anything else.

use a thread spool organizer or a fishing lure organizer (that's what we use) for toy car storage the lure organizer has different length spots so it works for different cars.














No comments:

Post a Comment